The Kena Oriental Band was formed in 1952, shortly after Kena received its Charter from the Imperial Council. The first year membership totaled 23 members. The band started its winning ways in 1956, taking several second and third place prizes in local and area parades. Many more prizes were attained through the years, which now adorn the walls of the Unit Meeting Room.
In 1972, the Oriental Band won its first prize in their class during the annual Shrine Band competition at Lancaster Pennsylvania. The Band has always participated in Kena Ceremonials and parades and traveled to other Shrine Centers over the years to be a part of their celebrations.
The Oriental Band ha always been a special attraction in parades and has been fortunate over the years to have fine Drum Majors up in front of the band. The twirling scimitar and pompous strutting of the Drum Major is a particular attraction to spectators at the parades.
Through the past 50 years of Kena’s tenure in Shrinedom, the Band has experienced he usual increases and decreases in membership. Time has taken its toll through death or the nemesis of failing health. Nobles through the grace of God continue to remain active, deserve our sincerest and deepest gratitude. It is the cement of brotherly love which Units, are building into one common mass or whole.
The Oriental Band is currently a member of the South Atlantic shrine Oriental Band Association (SASOBA) and to that end several members of the Kena Oriental Band have served as President of SASA. It would be unwise to single out any individual for their contribution to our organization. This is especially true where the Oriental Band has been so dramatic throughout the past 50 years of service to Kena and Shrinedom. It is our fervent hope the Band will continue to be of service to Kena and Shrinedom well into the future.